Tuesday, November 27, 2012

3D Printed Bismark

3D Printed Bismark

I have always liked the look of the World War 2 battleship "Bismark".  Through wanting to have a floating model Bismark I came across a 1:50th scale model in a museum, this sparked my interest in ships in this scale and got me thinking how I could achieve to build a ship of that size, not to mention it would fit rather perfectly with my 1:48 scale tanks.

Through a bit of research I have learnt of the original ship plans being in the Freiburg Military Archives in Germay.  I plan to eventually acquire these and build a 3D model of this inside Blender.

Once I have a to scale 3D model I can proceed to chop it into pieces big enough to be printed on a 3D printer.  Once completed I will build a rep-rap 3D printer to print each piece seperately with a strong plastic, numbering each piece for easy reassembly.

The eventual assembly of the ship will involve a lot of plastic glue, sandpaper and maybe some paint, with the eventual goal of a floating 1:50(48) scale bismark.

Current road blocks are mainly around cost, I believe the cost of materials alone will be a magnitude of 10'000's.

No comments:

Post a Comment